Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Last night I headed back to Fort Knox for a second time this week.  The Red Cross of Fort Knox invited Jessica Casebolt, Miss Kentucky, and I to help send about 300 soldiers off to Afghanistan.  We had the opportunity to be some of the last people to send them on their way.  This was a very emotional day for everyone.  It was great for me to witness this and truly made me appreciate our troops and their families even more.  I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through.  I appreciate them so much for their service, sacrifice, dedication, and hard work.      




With Commanding Major General Smith


With the ladies and gentlemen of the American Red Cross
They were all so welcoming and sweet!



It was so nice to get to talk to each and every soldier
as they came through the check point with their bags and guns.



We were dying to take a picture with a BIG gun, but 
we were happy to settle for a slim jim snack break pic;)



Leaving to board the buses to the airport


I seriously cannot express how much being a part of this event meant to me. Having the title of Mrs. Kentucky has allowed me to be a part of many fun and interesting opportunities, but this is one that will change my life forever.  What an emotional thing to witness.  I wish each and every one of these soldiers the best and will keep them in my thoughts and prayers through the next nine months while they are fighting for our freedom!

No comments: